Thursday, March 26, 2015

All Grain Split Boil? Sacrilege

So I have some awesome brew sessions coming up.   Something you should know about me,  I am the only male (save the cat) in a home with not 4, not 5, but 6 females.  That's right 6.   It's no wonder I brew beer.  There are nights when the Kardashians, and the 19 kids... are so overwhelming that even the cat needs a home brew.  Lot's of women in my home....

This fact is salient for another reason, 6 is a lot of mouths to feed.   So when ever I can I look to save money.   One thing I can do to save money and make better beer is make all grain beer when ever possible.

WE NOW INTERRUPT THIS BLOG FOR SILLY TRADITION NOT BACKED BY SCIENCE

"You can't make all grain beer in your kitchen, unless you are doing a pico batch.   We the overlords of home brewing tradition have decided that pico batches are kinda cool so you can make those, but no, we can not allow, we will not tolerated 5 gallon all grain batches in your kitchen.  It wont work.  A team of  tradition enforcing magic gremlins will come and sprinkle DMS on your beer"

NOW BACK TO YOUR NORMALLY SCHEDULED BLOG

Some brewing traditions are great.  Some are crap.   As I have said before, your wort doesn't know if it is being boiled in two different kettles.   Or 3, or 4 for that matter.   Although the math gets kinda tricky when you have 3 differently sized pots.  

But I have a large mash tun, that was free, a 7 gallon plastic bucket, and two, 4 gallon pots.  So I'm gonna make some all grain cream ale, and some all grain raspberry wheat.   And then soon after I'm going to brew up some 20 minute Pale ale at full volume in 2 different 4 gallon kettles.   Stay tuned for recipes, and procedures.   I'll post pictures and recipes, and process notes so that you too can do this.   I also have to add a ball valve to my mash tun, because trying to control the flow of the wort with a tube is dumb.   So Ill post some stuff on that too.

Remember you can learn to make world class beer in your kitchen, with just a few more items than you have now.    Remember also that the place to spend money in this hobby is on temperature control of your fermentation.   You're goal is fermenting beer, not just producing wort.


No comments:

Post a Comment