Thursday, April 23, 2015

Another Cajun Injector.


Image result for cajun injector electric turkey fryerMy Brew partner is a great guy, a fantastic father, and well... he treats my sister like a man should treat his wife... with respect and honor.   Many of you have read my thread about the Cajun Injector Electric Turkey Fryer. He procured one after we researched various brewing equipment, and we decided this was the way to go.   And it has worked so well that I used contest winnings to get another one.   We are not paid spokes people for Cajun Injector.   We get no products or equipment from them. (although I will admit we are shamelessly willing to accept said products and equipment ) So this endorsement is purely based on our experience with the product.  If you are an extract brewer, a partial masher, or a BIAB brewer, you should consider this set up.   
Now that we have 2 of them, any recipe, and any process is available to us.   Even All grain, 90 minute boil with a large volume of starting wort.  So if we ever feel the need to brew up 5-10 gallons of all grain and spend 6 hours doing it... we can.
 Things you should know about the Cajun Injector.

  • It's affordable - about $100.00
  • It can handle any 5 gallon extract batch
  • It can handle any BIAB or Partial Mash batch with up to about 12 lbs of grain.  
    • We don't exceed 10-11 lbs of grain, but we are continual mash stir guys (every 5-10 minutes).  So we are concerned about splashing grains out of the bag.
    • Removing the lid is no big deal during the mash, because the unit will maintain the heat. 
  • It can and does boil 6.5 gallons of water.
    • It doesn't heat super fast so it is a good idea to do a near boiling water addition.
    • Some of you may have read on homebrewtalk that this is not the case... to that I say, remember our hobby is filled with good guys who love brewing, and who love the fact that they have learned to brew a certain way. Some of these good people believe that the way they have learned to brew is THE way to brew.  Since I started in this hobby there have been many guys who just don't want to see any change.  Unless that change is more expensive and more complicated.   
So, if you are interested in upping your game, but still being able to brew inside the house... the Cajun Injector Electric Turkey Fryer may be the best rig for you. 

Tell me what you think.  

2 comments:

  1. I purchased this unit and am planning on doing a 2 gallon BIAB in the next few days. Just a question - do you use the included basket for your grains? I was concerned that the basket would restrict the grains and my mesh bag wouldn't really be lining the entire volume of the pot. Is that a big deal? Also since basket sits directly on heating element if my mash temp drops can I turn the heating element back on or would there be a chance of melting my biab bag?

    ReplyDelete
  2. jason sorry so long in replying. I use this system for 2.5 gallon batches (where you can really brew anything). Low Gravity 5.5 gallon batches and partial mash 5.5 gallon batches.

    I use the basket as a false bottom. I purchased a 24 x 36 brew bag at the LHBS for $6. It easily fits over the edges of the pot. With that bag I can do 11# easily, and can do 12# if Im careful. I crush grains fine. You could conceivably melt a brew bag with this. You have to pay attention to the temperature carefully. If you want to really make this thing take off, buy a heat stick off of ebay. Mine was $20 shipped. It is 1300 wats so all in Im a little over 3000 watts when boiling. It is rigorous. For 5 gallon batches, leave the lit on but ajar. Just set it up on the rubber stopper by the heating element. I have never had an issue with DMS when doing this. But watch out, with just the 1650 watt element and the lid on but ajar, you can get boil overs quickly.

    I brew lots of beer that doesn't make the blog. Lots of Medium gravity lagers. They fit just fine.

    I have some videos posted at youtube. Check them out.

    ReplyDelete