|haben sie gehort das deutsches band?|
|All Hail Gordon Strong.|
|Believe it or not, these frauleins are holding beers.|
I can't quite make out the beers, but I have been assured
that they are in the photo somewhere.
|Yes, sports fans she is also holding|
beers, I know it is hard to see them.
But with the trained eye, you can
make them out. I think these might
be traditional Marzen!
6 gallons (5.5 to ferment, 5 to package)
7.6 lbs of Pilsner
4.4 lbs of Vienna (no munich? nope, were doing a decoction)
.25 lbs of Flaked Barley - for head retention, it works, try it.
0.5 oz of Magnum at 60 minutes 14,7% AA, 7.35 AAUs
0.8 oz of Hallertauer Mittlefruh 2.2% AA, 1,76 AAUs
1 Package of Fermentis 34/70
1 tsp of yeast nutrient at 15 minutes
1 tsp of irish moss at 15 minutes
1 tsp of unflavored gelatin - for fining the beer.
Decoction schedule -
- Enzyme Wash - 132 F - Calculate your needed strike water temperature
- 1st Decoction- 146-148 F - Pull a thick 2/3rds decoction, rest at 150 F for 10 M, then boil for 10 M Return to raise the wort to 146 to 148 F. Hold for 1 minute, stir, then pull 2nd decotion
- 2nd Decoction - 156-158 F - Pull a thick 2/3rds decoction, boil for 10 M Return to raise the wort to 156 to 158 F. Hold for 1 minute, stir, then pull 3rd decotion - Schluss Decoction (Schluss means conclusion or final)
- Schluss Decoction - Pull enough grain free wort from your mash to raise the temperature of the mash to 168 F. You'll have to do the math on brew day. I use brewers friend calculator for infusion step mashing.
- Vourlauff - We vourlauff the entire volume almost like a fly sparge, it gets all the chunkies out. And we use an extra brew bag... so do please stay tuned for our brewday videos and post, you're gonna love it!
Boil - Described above, but boil hard
Fermentation schedule -
- 7 days at 52 F We may also add fermaid K at day 3 of fermentation to ensure the beer finishes clean and crisp.
- 3 days at 68 F
- 1 day at 50 F (add Gelatin)
- 10 days at 34 F
- Package, and store the beer cold. It does get even better with time, but it's pretty damned good, how it is.